Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Art of Being a Teacher

The first month of my mentorship, a very exciting experience for me. When I walked in the classroom for the first time, I felt like I was at home.  I have learned so much about being a teacher simply just by observing. Teaching and interacting with coworkers is truly an art that needs to be mastered.
 For example, I have learned that a teacher must know what to do in every situation, whether it be a fire, a school lockdown, and even knowing what to do when a kid becomes sick in the classroom. They need to stay calm and know every protocol the school provides them as well as preparing for situations that are not included in the school’s protocols. Also, I have observed that newer teachers tend to teach more regular classes than the more experienced teachers. This is not always the case, however, many experienced teachers like teaching the regular level classes and tend to either teach only regular classes, or have a majority of regular classes and a few advanced classes. Finally, teachers ALWAYS communicate with their coworkers through email and face-to-face conversations. There is rarely texting among coworkers (who are not even supposed to have their phones out unless for educational purposes). Professional communication is very important in the world of teaching.
Once a person becomes a teacher, they are set to a different standard from the rest of the community. Teachers must be very professional in their attitudes, interactions, and especially in the way they dress. Every teacher must act like their students are watching them. There is a reason why we do not see any teachers posting pictures of them bikini-clad with alcohol in their hands. Again, teachers must present themselves professionally. Dressing in the workplace is both simple and tricky. Women must dress professionally and most importantly, MODESTLY. Sorry, but the truth is, teenage boys will be teenage boys. It is important to cover the cleavage, ladies, and to not wear skin-tight pants or mini-skirts. When in doubt, cover it up! For men, all that really need to be said is dress professionally. There is a reason why I am stressing the professional look: as a teacher, you want to taken very seriously and look like you know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, teachers can come across an unruly parent and you want to look like a professional. I cannot stress looking professional enough.

Luckily, I have been able to learn some of these elements of teaching during my mentorship. Also, thankfully, I am a fast learner, and I believe that is a quality that all teachers need. I am truly learning something everyday and I am amazed at the complexity of the everyday things that once seemed so simple. I am truly thankful to be doing this mentorship. 

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment