Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Partner In Your Education

Internships are truly a learning experience to the interns. You learn so many aspects of your desired job that you would have not expected. This is really beneficial because to those who do not have the opportunity to intern, may go into their job blind-sided and learn later that the job is not what they may have thought it to be. It's almost like you are back in a classroom, a very hands-on classroom. In classrooms, you may learn what you like and dislike. That's why when we were in high school, we usually knew what we wanted to do when we became older or at least knew what we did not want to do. For example, say a person named Billy disliked math (like I do). Billy would probably not want to be an engineer, an accountant, or a mathematician. Internships are the same way! We learn what we like and dislike about the job.
Internships also show people other careers they might be interested in. You may start an internship as a graphic designer only to see a computer designer doing his/her job, and you think, "Wow, that seems like something I would enjoy". In my case, I am beginning to be interested in becoming a school counselor, just in case I learned that teaching was not for me. 
Internships are not only beneficial to the interns, but for the mentors also. Interns can help the mentor complete routine tasks or less important tasks. Also, if the mentor has a huge workload, the intern can help that mentor complete the task quickly. In my internship, I try to help my mentor by going around the classroom and helping students. There is probably nothing more stressful for a teacher than to have twenty hands in the air with a question (probably the same question too). I can tell that my mentor is a little thankful to be able to take a little more time with each student while I take time with another. 
Internships are really beneficial to everyone involved. We all learn from each other and help each other. Internships are truly a "partner in your education".

No comments:

Post a Comment