Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Meeting Your Mentor/ First Day of the Mentorship

For my first ever assignment on the Honors Mentorship Program, I had to listen to a podcast and read a document created by my teacher about things to do when you meet your mentor for the first time or when you have an interview. Here are some of the ideas both the podcast and the document expressed:
  • ·      ALWAYS stay positive. Most companies and mentors want a positive atmosphere in the workplace
  • ·      Dress appropriately and always dress professional on your interview and on the first day. Moderately wear jewelry and makeup. You never know who you are going to meet
  • ·      Show confidence: Do not be afraid to initiate a firm handshake, make eye contact with your mentor and/or coworkers, smile, and always have good posture
  • ·      Arrive early. You want to build up a reputation of always being punctual and reliable
  • ·       Be quick to learn names.
  • ·      Research the company you wish to join and what your position is. This shows that you are truly interested in joining the company.
  • ·      Start conversations with your mentor. Never be afraid to be honest about your accomplishments. Having conversations is beneficial because you both will get to know each other and even become close acquaintances.
  • ·      Finally, work hard at every task you do



I am personally very excited about my mentorship! This will definitely help me learn how to become the engaging, helpful, and wonderful teacher I wish to become! I believe I will learn how to teach Social Studies in a way that students will enjoy. I hope to learn how to engage and interact with students and faculty.  This will definitely benefit me in that I will learn what exactly teachers have to do on a daily basis. I have had my mentor as a teacher before, and I know he will give me advice and teach me all I need to know about becoming a teacher. He will always encourage me to interact with the class and participate in as much as I can. This year is going to be great!   

No comments:

Post a Comment