Sunday, August 31, 2014

Internships Are Interviews

For this week's assignment, I had to read a short blog post from a blog called Growing Leaders, by Tim Elmore. This article describes how a friend of Elmore had a bad experience with the interns he had in that summer. Elmore expresses how he is sad that millions of college students come to the work force unprepared. His friend's interns were proof of that fact. He suggested to his friend that he introduce future interns as it being "... a twelve week interview [and how] it's a simulation of the job [they'll] have one day"(Elmore).
He stated the four top qualities that business look for interns. These are:

  1. Teachability: They want students who are hungary to learn from them
  2. Initiative: They want students that look for what needs to be done
  3. Responsibility: They want students who "own" the tasks they are given
  4. Energy: They want high-energy workers who have a passion for their mission
Those four qualities will lead into a successful internship for both the student and the mentor/company.




I believe Elmore has very good points. His advise will definitely help me get the most out of my internship at the middle school. I really need to participate in the classroom as much as I can so that I will get real experience as a teacher. I need to show that I want to learn so that my mentor will be encouraged to pass on his knowledge and experiences to me. I must show that I truly want to become a teacher. My future interviewer might look back on how I participated in this program and decide to contact my mentor. I can only hope that I showed my desire and initiative to be a teacher.

This article's advise is very beneficial to any interns that might come across it before their internships. An internship is truly like an interview; it can show back up whenever a person is interviewing for a job, what better person to ask how you work in the workplace than your mentor. These four points would also be beneficial in that if the intern follows these points, they would the most out of their internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment