Sunday, May 3, 2015

Interning This Year

As the year is coming to a close, I feel that it is necessary to reflect on my experience as an intern in an 8th grade class. I've learned that knowing and experiencing are two completely different things. All of the projects/classes I have taken that involved teaching never seemed to "complete the picture" for me. I felt like something was missing in my education of how to be a teacher. My mentorship was the final piece in the puzzle.
I never thought about how hard it is being a teacher. I knew there were going to be challenges, but whew!, it's a lot of hard work! The material Mr. Cantrell is teaching is somewhat like what I am learning in my US History class, but the 8th grade standards just cover what happened in Georgia. I would have to try to keep up with the students by reviewing their textbook before I went to the classroom. Students would ask me questions and I would be able to answer them, but there were a few that I had no idea what to say, especially when they started Government and Economics; while the Federal and the State government are very similar, there are a few key differences that I needed to try to remember so I would not tell the students the wrong thing. It is these types of situations that are very hard with being a teacher; you have to know the subject inside and out (which a teacher should), and then some. Even with situations like this, I have experienced what made me want to become a teacher in the first place, relationships with the students. Mr. Cantrell has some sweet kids, and they welcomed me with open arms into the classroom, after the first awkward day, of course. The students are the reason for my desire of becoming a teacher, even through those days of frustration, the good days will always outweigh the bad.
Interning always prepares you for the future more than just learning about it. It provides a unique experience that cannot be learned in the classroom. For example, you can't learn how to swim or riding a bike just by reading how to do it, you have to jump in that pool and get on that bike! You are going to make mistakes, but that is all a part of that process. This internship was me getting on that bike. Interning in Mr. Cantrell's classroom helps me to think about the realities (good and bad) of teaching. I always hear people complain about just doing "busywork" at their internships and I want to tell them "Stop complaining! It's all a part of the experience! I'm sure the employees just as tired as you are of doing the same thing". I've learned that the "busywork" for the teacher is mainly grading, setting up Powerpoints/lectures, and creating assignments for the students. Fortunately, I've only had to grade papers once, but I've told Mr. Cantrell that I'd be happy to do it, again, it's all a part of the experience. This internship has also made me realize that I probably would not want to teach middle school, especially not 8th grade. Don't get me wrong, I love the students, but they tend to be a bit too rowdy and immature for me, plus, they are at that age where their hormones are everywhere! I feel like I would fit better in a high school setting, where I could teach multiple subjects such as US History, World History, and even Comparative Religions. I do not think I would be able to teach one thing all day, I would probably go insane. Through all of this, teaching is still one of my top choices of what I would want to do when I am older. Honestly, it is no longer my number one option, but it is still up there.
Some advice I would give to future Honors Mentorship students is to enjoy your mentorship. Do not dwell on the "busywork" you have to do. It's all a part of the experience and you will probably have to do the same task if you begin that career. Also, you will get out of your mentorship what you put in it. Show interest and enthusiasm in your internship and your mentor will respond! You have the chance to make your internship a wonderful and beneficial experience. Do not be afraid to talk to your mentor about any concerns about that career or ask any questions, they will be happy to answer you. Remember: they didn't have to be a mentor, they chose to do this, they want to help us understand their career.


Sometimes, I like to look up on YouTube "How To Be An Awesome Teacher", I found this video that I believed that really helped me realize what I would need to implement in my classroom.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bIQ4-3XSxU



At one point this year, I was having a hard time with loving the idea of being a teacher. A very good friend of mine noticed that, and sent me this. This reminded me of why I chose to look into teaching. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwlhUcSGqgs



~Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment