Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mentorship So Far...

My mentorship in an 8th grade classroom has been interesting so far. Most of my time is just observing how Mr. Cantrell teaches. After every class, I take notes on some of the strategies and activities he does that I might use in my future classroom. Mr. Cantrell encourages me to not only take notes on the activities he does with his students, but to take notes on how I would do things differently. While the students are working on their assignments or projects, I always walk around the classroom to help students and ask them questions about whatever standard they are learning about. Mr. Cantrell is always encouraging me to interact with the students as much as possible. He has even mentioned to me recently, that I could have a special day within the week and take the last 10-15 minutes of class and talk to the students. I could talk about whatever they are learning about , I could answer any questions they have about high school (as they will be freshmen next year!), or I could ask the students questions on what kind of activities and teaching strategies they like. This time can end up being really beneficial for me! Also, as I have been mentioning a lot, I will be able to teach a lesson this year!! It's almost like I am teaching my own class!

Both surprisingly and unsurprisingly, the U.S. History class I am taking this year is really helping me with my mentorship. We are learning almost the same thing and we are almost in sync. Mr. Cantrell's class is basically one standard behind with what I am learning. For example, I am currently learning about the Civil War in my U.S. History class and the 8th graders are learning about the Antebellum Period (pre-Civil War period). I am sure that when they are on the Civil War unit, I will be learning about Reconstruction.  My U.S. History class goes in a little more in depth than Mr. Cantrell's class, so I am able to help the students with any questions they have or if they wish to know more, I would be able to teach them more.

It's kind of funny how one needs to be taught how to teach. Mr. Cantrell is teaching me all that he can to help me prepare for this career. This mentorship is giving me extra experience that I can use as I begin taking teacher classes in college and in my own classroom in the future. 

~Sarah

  

No comments:

Post a Comment